水曜日, 11月 03, 2004

The Presidential Election

So I am getting sick watching this. I am being honest. I am getting physically ill. I am also getting emotionally distraut. I feel helpless. Like I am being suffocated during a pillowfight. It is nearly 5am E.T. in the US. It has become clear---> The country (US) is going to be ruled by Republicans. .

As for who will be president---> It is pretty much down to the state of Ohio.

I only have access to watch CNN, which many people seem to find left. However remarkably resembling 2000 as I browse the internet, Ohio has already been projected with 99% of the vote in. Fox has called this for Bush. CNN has not called it and is refusing to call it until all votes are counted- it is too close to call. They (CNN) are also calling New Mexico too close to call.

Meanwhile our busy, loving, superman, fending off terrorist president is waiting up so he can go and party it up with the GOP. (he just wants someone to call NM because he thinks it is important before he heads over to the Regan Center) Basically, in the eyes of this man, if you already got the party started you know, it sucks if someone comes in and busts it up...good plan Mr. Pres.

I was also thinking, if he wins, do you think he would be concerned for his life at all? There are a lot of people out there who hate this man more than any other. Our country is divided- and if this election has not shown this man something, it is that some things need obvious change. We need to unite, and there needs to be a better understanding in Congress and the WhiteHouse, that as an elected official you represent the people, the constituents of the country. No more BS.

It is going to be a long four years, especially if everything remains the same. I am tired of scare tactics. I feel sometimes they just pull out a colored card from some deck of cards hidden in the oval office choose one and say, "Yep, today's terrorist alert is Orange." I bet that deck of cards are right next to the Iraqi Most Wanted deck in this junk drawer; hidden in this drawer, down under all the random rolls of duct tape and pieces of string, are also thorough security briefings, and letters from people/constituents, now hopefully, those will set out on the desk, instead of being shoved in a junk drawer.

It is easy to say things that make people like you, but it is the challenge to do things; that makes the job of president so important. There better be more done during this term if GW Bush gets re-elected.

It is important to realize how truly important this election is globally.

The interesting thing about going through a presidential election while being abroad is this.....You gather the reaction of people world wide. (and this is my second time being abroad during one- well I was abroad during the majority of the debates and campaigning in 2000) The constituents of the world are not so concerned with the House and Senate- they just want a balanced system there- but the President- this is the office that concerns the world. All foriegn policy seems to ride on the intelligence and global understanding that the president possesses. If you think about it, the person who is the President of the United States deeply effects the social, political, economic, and culture of each nation worldwide. For some people the US president also determines the safety, life, and death. And with the US at war right now, it is even more important to see this. I fear for my safety at times. I am rather close to Korea- actually only 3 hours by boat. Just hope that nothing gets stirred up more here in the Pacific.

There is an interesting site that shows the outcome of the election if the world could vote. I wish people would take this into consideration when voting...but I also know that in our Narciccist society, none of that matters to the majority of those people who are going to go out there and vote. I now await the outcome- and now as I finish this, Bush is waiting for Kerry to concede.